Friday, February 28, 2014

It's All in the Prep

I had a blog post a few days ago entitled: It's All in the Details. Well, when cleansing, "It's all in the preparation" rings a little truer.

So far in this cleanse I've tried to prepare ahead of time for meals. On Monday I do the grocery shopping for Tuesday. On Tuesday night I chop the vegetables for Wednesday's lunch. And so on. The authors of the Conscious Cleanse stress this in the book. If you've got chopped veggies ready to go in the fridge, you're much more likely to eat those than to reach for a bag of chips.

Thursday's lunch

I was doing really well. Yesterday I even broiled salmon and made a fresh salad and drove it over to Ted's office for dinner because he had a conference to attend last night. A conference that offered free dinner afterward. That's how good we've been.

But, lest you think I am one of those dishonest bloggers who tries to make my life look and sound perfect on the internet, I have to tell you that today I was not prepared.

Today the plan was to come home after class and make lunch. I was just too tired to prepare it last night. I think in my heart I knew this plan would never work.

Sure enough, halfway home from work I realized I was famished. I needed food pronto, and a cold veggie salad was just not going to do it for me. Especially if I had to stand there chopping vegetables for 10 minutes to prepare it.

So I did the unthinkable.







I went through the Drive-Thru... at McDonalds. Clutch your pearls!!

I ate 6 Chicken McNuggets and a medium french fries - but the fry box was definitely not full! And, okay, full disclosure, I borrowed a dollar from one of my students this morning to get a vending machine mocha.

Yes, yes, I know, of all the things I could have eaten to break my cleanse, McDonalds is probably the worst. I feel like a smoker who keeps smoking even in the face of all the evidence that it causes lung cancer, asthma, black lungs, etc etc. I just couldn't help myself. Nothing else would do.

So. There you have it.

Tomorrow is another day. If anything, this little setback has cemented my conviction to do the purification weekend. Nuthin' but veggies for this gal over the next two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment