Saturday, March 1, 2014

Air Plants - So Cool


Have you heard of air plants yet? I've been seeing them here and there for the past 6 months, so I finally ordered my own to see what all the fuss is about.

This is a $5 variety pack from Etsy. These air plants are pretty tame, but you can get really colorful and crazy ones for only a few more dollars. Each came packaged in its own paper bag, labeled with its name.


I know very little about air plants so far. I know that they don't need soil. They absorb nutrients from the air, I guess, and they only need to be watered sparingly. You can mist them with a spray bottle a couple times a week or soak them for 20 minutes to an hour once a week. Sounds easy enough!

At the same time that I ordered these from Etsy, I ordered some hanging glass orbs from cb2. The orbs are meant for tea lights, but they make excellent little terrariums as well.


The orbs I ordered turned out to be a bit bigger than I was expecting, but at least it will be easy to get the plants in and out of them.



I decided to hang them in our living room window, since the living room is where we spend most of our time and I'll get to show them off when we have guests. The living room also gets the afternoon sun, which I think these little guys will enjoy.




Ooooo it's so fun! I love how they look inside the glass orbs. Kinda like I'm living in some weird apothecary, and these are my exotic healing herbs. Muahahaha!

I'm sure I'll end up moving these around all over the place. They're just too fun to keep in one spot! I have two left over that didn't work in my hanging clump. They'll probably live in the kitchen window sill or get hung against a wall somewhere.

If you're interested in seeing what some other bloggers did with their air plants, you can check out posts here, here, and here.

1 comment:

  1. love this! in the winter i was desperate to buy some hanging plants. perhaps i will just turn to this option instead?! thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete