Sunday, September 29, 2013

Getting Rid of Glasses?

Rabies update:  The results are in! NEGATIVE. Now I have to decide if I'm going to get that one last shot anyway (which means I'll only need 2 booster shots if something like this ever happens again) or say "Phew!" and ditch the last shot. What would you do?


--------

Now onto the real reason for today's post:

I have worn contacts since, I think, the 6th grade. Glasses since 3rd grade.

I still remember the day I got glasses and realized that when you look at pine trees from afar you can actually see the pine needles. Defined! Each. individual. needle. It blew my mind.

Then, when I got contacts, I cried. I was so happy to see clearly without having glasses on. I could play softball without worrying about my glasses falling off. I could lay sideways on the couch to watch TV with my head on a pillow without my glasses being smooshed into my face. There were so many benefits to wearing contacts instead of glasses.

Thank God for contacts. My vision is so bad that even the "featherweight" lenses in glasses dig a trench into the bridge of my nose by mid-day.

But I'm finally ready to say goodbye to contacts, too! I want to wake up in the morning and read the clock without pulling it within an inch of my face. I want to be able to take a nap without waking up to dried-out contacts super-suctioned to my eye balls. And with the astigmatisms I now have in both eyes, it's getting harder for me to see clearly even with my contacts in.

So I have an appointment! A LASIK consultation. :) :) :) I am very excited and hopeful that I will be a candidate for laser eye surgery.

I'm within one week of my appointment, which means I cannot wear my contacts anymore. I have been in glasses since Wednesday afternoon, which is the longest span of time I have gone without contacts in 20 years.

20 YEARS!

It's not so bad, aside from the fact that when I'm applying my makeup I keep fogging up the mirror. My nose is practically pressed up against it in order for me to (sort of) see what I'm doing. And glasses make wearing sunglasses hard. At least we're not in Boulder right now where it is virtually impossible to leave your house without shades.

My consultation appointment is Thursday, October 3, so I will keep you updated!

Also, I'm trying out this new way to follow my blog... Follow my blog with Bloglovin


No comments:

Post a Comment