Monday, September 16, 2013

As Long As You're Falling Off the Wagon, Why Not Dive Head First?!

Well, it's been interesting cleansing while traveling and being with family. First off, I have to say that I am very grateful that my family members have been supportive of this cleanse. They tried some of our smoothies and even made a point of keeping the cookies out of sight so Ted and I wouldn't be tempted! Thanks, family!

That being said, we are here in Oregon celebrating my grandpa's 88th birthday and my grandparents 65th wedding anniversary. And with celebrations comes cake. Really good-looking cake. Vanilla with white frosting. Ted's favorite kind of cake.

So we broke down. On Saturday Ted and I shared a sliver of cake. On Sunday we each had our own piece.

And then we went and had McDonald's breakfast sandwiches while going out to buy kale for lunch.

I think it's safe to say that we have fallen off the wagon. Hard. But we didn't really fall, I guess. It was a decision, not an accident, and we're happy with our choice!! :) Really, we are. I feel amazing after that Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit.

I'll post more about this later, but here's what I've learned so far from this 2nd attempt at cleansing:

1)  I can't expect to do it perfectly on the first try.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, Ted and I tried a cleanse this summer and lasted one and a half days. Then we started this cleanse and made it 5 and a half days. That's an improvement, and I am happy with our progress.

2)  Cleansing while traveling is really hard.
Even though my family was supportive of our cleanse and our need for adapted lunches and dinners, being out of our routine and being away from our own kitchen made it difficult to remain fully committed to the cleanse. I am super proud of us for making it through one day of airport travel while sticking to the cleanse, though! We packed ourselves a salad and some healthy snacks and did not give in to the temptation of Chick-fil-A!
3)  I've always thought of meals as a main course of a meat or grain and a side of veggies or salad, but really, meals should be at least 2/3 vegetables!
This cleanse attempt has definitely helped Ted and I eat more vegetables. Maybe to the point that I couldn't stand the thought of eating one more carrot stick or salad, which led me to McDonalds, but it was still worth the small shift we've made in our eating habits. 
I will put up more posts soon, about our time in Bend and another delightful Cleanse Fail, but for now I've got to make a kale salad for the airplane! I guess we haven't completely fallen off the wagon. After all, tomorrow is a new day!

No comments:

Post a Comment