Thursday, September 19, 2013

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Isn't it funny that you wake up every morning having no idea what might happen to you on that particular day? And by "funny" I mean "a little unnerving".

For example, when I woke up this morning I never would have imagined that I would end the day with a rabies shot in my butt. This after Ted and I decided last week to go with the cheaper health insurance plan since we're both so healthy.

But who ever expects to need a rabies shot?!

The story leading up to the rabies shot is not for the faint of heart, especially if your faint heart loves animals. Consider yourself warned.

I had just picked up my post-cleanse celebratory latte (the first in 2 weeks!) and was driving to my next errand when I noticed an animal in the road ahead. It was moving kind of funny, and at first I thought it was a squirrel. As I got closer, though, I saw that it was a small cat pulling its body across the road with its front legs. Its back legs were immobile, and I'm sure it had been hit by a car.

This was literally 200 feet from the vet where Minnie and Milo stayed while we were in Oregon, so I got out of the car to get the cat and take it to the vet. As I approached the poor thing I saw that it was a kitten - maybe 6-7 months old. She was a beautiful, fluffy calico.

I picked her up under her front legs, and I could tell she was scared. She frantically squirmed around and bit my finger several times, but she had those little kitten teeth so they just felt like pin pricks. I put her in my lap as I slid back into the driver's seat and she just went limp.

I pulled up to the vet, scooped up the kitten, and ran to the door.


This vet is closed from 1:00 - 2:00 every day, and though I pounded on the door, no one came to answer.

I knew I had seen an Animal Hospital somewhere in Oxford, so I ran back to the car, laid the kitten gently on our shopping bags in the passenger seat, and set out for the animal hospital. Unfortunately, as I laid the kitten down, I noticed that she was no longer moving though her eyes were open. I hoped she was in shock. I tried to feel for a pulse as I pulled out of the parking lot but could find none.

After a teary call to Ted to get directions, I burst into the animal hospital where they confirmed that she was dead on arrival. I washed my hands with their disinfectant soap, noticing for the first time that my finger was bleeding from several puncture wounds and had swollen so much at the joint that I could not bend it. The vet took my information and advised that I go see a doctor since this kitten appeared to be a stray.

Ted met me in the emergency room, and two hours later I left with a tetanus shot in my left arm, a rabies shot in my butt, and a splint to immobilize my finger. Unfortunately, the state does the rabies testing, which takes over a week, and the series of rabies shots takes about a week to administer, so there was no time to wait to see whether the cat was rabid or not.

Today's shots weren't bad - I mean, I have several tattoos. Needles clearly don't bother me. But I was told by the doctor and two separate nurses that this Sunday's shots are going to be another story. I will have to get many shots all over my finger and arm. Then I have to go back a week from today for MORE shots. And what will these shots cost, you wonder? Let's just say that if I wanted to take my rabies chances I could forgo the shots and buy an airline ticket to Europe instead.

I think I'll stick with the shots.

Say a little prayer tonight for that poor little kitten. She was so precious. If I had it to do all over, I would try to rescue her again.


  1. Oh please...I finally make it to Friday, settle down with some tea and time to catch up on your blog while waiting for Tim to get home from Vegas, and now I'm in tears! Way to take one (many) for the cat-lover's team Mack. Poor little thing...(the kitten, but your tush, too...)

  2. me gusta a glimpse into your world. i will do the same for you if ever i get the house settled . . . and/or clean :)